Disability management program
Your business is only as strong as your team. Safeguard your employees and company from life’s worst-case scenarios with short and long-term disability benefits that will ease stress and allow your employees to focus on recovery.
The advantages of a disability benefits program are plentiful. Companies see:
- improved productivity
- decreased absenteeism
- reduced replacement and training costs
- enhanced job satisfaction
- improved company reputation for recruitment, retention and competitiveness
- reduced health insurance claims
- reduced length of disability claims with shorter injury and illness claim durations
Our Disability Management Program provides more than just security to you and your employees, but also a renowned team of dedicated specialists with an acclaimed track record of helping individuals reclaim their lives and companies welcome back their employees.
Provides replacement income on a temporary basis if an employee is unable to work due to accident, injury or illness.
If an accident, injury or illness causes an employee to be unable to work for more than 17 weeks, long-term disability can take effect. It provides replacement income until the employee can safely return to work or a set time designated by you, the employer. This can range from a few years up until the employee turns 65 years old.
Exclusive to Manitoba Blue Cross! This unique product can protect employees affected by a neurological or physical impairment. It provides extra support if, due to the impairment, they are unable to perform two or more of the following activities of daily living:
NOTE: It is mandatory to also have life insurance for a disability benefits package to be added to your group plan.
What sets our Disability Management Program apart?
It’s not about what we do, but how we do it.
The person not the paperwork. We are not just looking at the medical condition. We consider the psychosocial and job factors too. We believe diagnosis does not equal disability and disability does not equal absence. It’s about what the employee is “able to do” rather than what they “can’t do.”
Higher return-to-work rates. Our rates are higher than the industry average because we focus on prevention, wellness and recovery. Work is part of a healthy lifestyle and we weave this guiding principle into the foundation of our disability benefits. We work hand-in-hand with you and your employee to tailor a program to help them through recovery.
An experienced team to help yours. The majority of our case managers are health care professionals who are qualified to help your employees understand the recovery process and ensure they can return to work safely. From occupational therapists and kinesiologists to certified exercise physiologists and registered social workers, our strong team can get you and your employees the best and safest results.
Local partnerships. As a local organization, we are uniquely leveraged to help members get the right treatment at the right time. We live and work in your communities, and our connections here can minimize difficulties in accessing care providers when they’re needed most.
Short turnaround times. Our goal is to support you when you need it most. The last thing you and your employee needs to worry about is waiting for a response, and we are proud to offer a quick turnaround time.
Short claim durations. We work collaboratively with you, your employee and their health care team to ensure rehabilitation and return-to-work programs are proactive, safe and successful. This may include workplace accommodations, adaptive or ergonomic equipment, reconditioning, education, upgrading, modified duties, modified hours, gradual return-to-work programs and more.
The power of prevention. The best-case scenario for your team is no disability claims at all. We offer our renowned Employee Assistance Program, along with wellness resources, stay-at-work programs, health services and early intervention programs to minimize future claims.
Why choose Manitoba Blue Cross?
Join Manitoba’s #1 health plan provider.
- Manitoban's #1 choice for coverage — We cover half of all Manitobans. That's more than any other carrier.
- Not-for-profit — We serve stakeholders, not stockholders. That means every dollar made is reinvested back into our infrastructure, our people, and our province.
- Most recognized and trusted name in health coverage — We are part of a trusted network whose products are backed by a brand name recognized around the world.
Benefits for employers
- Made-in-Manitoba — Because we're Manitoban, we are keenly attuned to what's happening in the province and have insider knowledge about the people we serve.
- Aligned with Manitoba Pharmacare — We follow Manitoba's formulary which keeps drug costs low and promotes stable renewals.
- Cost-effective — We provide statistical reports to help analyze your plan, helping you make informed decisions.
- Easy-to-use — We provide businesses with access to an easy-to-use group administration site. Enroll, update, or terminate employees at any time. Request supplies. Print or download billing statements.
Benefits for employees
- Accessible — We have an award-winning call centre and walk-in customer service centre, located right here in Manitoba. Plus, our members have 24/7 access to claim and benefit information via mybluecross.
- Convenient — Our BlueNet card allows point-of-sale processing right at the pharmacy. Plus, we've made arrangements with many service providers to reimburse directly - from physiotherapists, dentists, and chiropractors to ambulance companies, vision providers, hospitals, and more. Assignment of Payment means members don't have to pay out-of-pocket and wait for reimbursement.
- Unique — We offer unique benefits - from foot care nurse and athletic therapy coverage to hostel care and treat no transport ambulance service. We're also one of the only carriers in the province to provide reimbursement for cardiac rehabilitation.
- Blue Advantage® — All members of Blue Cross get exclusive discounts on products and services offered by participating providers.